Publishing videos to your ePortfolio on D2L is a multi-step process. After editing/creating your video, you need to export it using the correct settings. Next, you need to make sure you have the correct file extension. Lastly, you upload your video to ePortfolio and set the necessary display settings.
Exporting Your Video
When exporting a final video project from a video editing platform, it needs to be encoded as either an .mp4 or .mov to be successfully uploaded to ePortfolio. Remember, you only have a limited amount of space in your ePortfolio. Your file storage limit is 100MB, so your video needs to be encoded in a format that allows the video file to be small enough.
The following settings are a good starting point to encode a video file for ePortfolio:
- File Format: .MP4 (Windows) or .MOV (Mac)
NOTE: If you export to an .mp4, make sure to pay attention to the next section about file extensions.
- Codec: H.264
- Frame Size: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3)
- Video Bitrate: .4 Mbps (or nearest option)
- Audio Bitrate: 96 kbps
For a more detailed explanation of export settings for various video editing platforms, the following iTunes U videos show how to export your project using an H.264 encoding format, optimized for use in online environments:
iMovie: Exporting to H.264
Sony Vegas: Exporting to H.264
Adobe Premiere: Exporting to H.264
Windows Movie Maker: Exporting to H.264
Handbrake: Encoding to H.264 This is only needed for Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 and older versions. The 2012 version of Movie Maker natively supports exporting to mp4.
Modifying the File Extension
ePortfolio can only accept .MOV QuickTime files to embed in presentations. Therefore, if you have exported your video as an .mp4 in Windows, you need to change the file extension. If your video is already an .mov, skip to the next section.
Uploading Your Video to ePortfolio (10)
Once your video is exported and re-named if necessary, it is now ready to be uploaded to ePortfolio.
Add as an Artifact
- Log into D2L and click on ePortfolio on the upp right portion of the screen under under "Tools"
- On your "Dashboard", click on the "My Items" tab.
- Under "My Items", select Upload > File from computer.
- Browse for the file you wish to upload, then click "Upload".
- Wait for your video to upload, and click "Next" on the following screen.
- Then, give your video a title (and, optionally, a description), and click "Save".
- Review the settings for your video, and then click "Done".
- Your video is now successfully added as an artifact, and will be listed under "My Items".
Embed Video in a Presentation
Once your video is added as an artifact, you can embed it within a presentation.
- Under "My Items", select New > Presentation
- Under the "Properties" tab, give your presentation a name, as well as a description and tags if you choose.
- Click the "Content/Layout" tab, choose a Content Area where you would like your video to appear, and click "Add Component".
- Select "Artifact", then check the box next to the artifact/video you want, and click "Done".
- Click "Done".
- Your artifact is now in the content area which you selected.
Edit Display Options
Your video is now in your presentation, but you still need to change some of the display settings.
- Click on the small downward-facing triangle at the top right of the presentation you just added your artifact to, and click "Edit".
- Click on the "Content/Layout" tab.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the artifact you just added, and select "Edit Display Options".
- Here, you can change many aspects of how your artifact is displayed, but pay close attention to the "Appearance" section.
- To display your video embedded within your presentation, select "Display artifact in-place on the page".
- Input the display dimensions of your video, then add 20px to the height. (ex: if the height of your video is 380px, enter the height as 400px)
- By default, ePortfolio does not recognize the correct dimensions of your video when you upload it.
- If you used the export settings described above, you would input 380x640 (16:9) or 380x480 (4:3).
- If you forget to add the 20px to the height, the play controls will not be visible.
- Select "Show controls" to make the play controls visible with your video.
- When you are done making any necessary changes, click "Save".
- To preview your presentation, select "View Presentation" under the edit settings.
The following video gives step-by-step instructions on how to upload videos to ePortfolio on D2L (10):
- If your video is not playing or is not able to be displayed in-place, make sure it is a .mov QuickTime file.
- If your video is originally a .mp4, change the file extension to .mov before uploading.
- If the play bar is cut off at the bottom of your video, make sure you've added the 20px to the height of the display dimensions.
- If your video is fuzzy or too low of quality, increase the video bitrate, but watch the file size.
- You only have 250MB of total storage in your ePortfolio, so make sure your files are small enough to be uploaded.
*For additional information on ePortfolio terms, visit here.