Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

We have a few options available on campus for creating captions and accessible video content.  If you have any questions about which option is right for you, please contact the Learning Technology Center.

On-Demand Content

3PlayMedia (Recommended)

We have contracted with 3PlayMedia as our primary closed caption provider.  3PlayMedia uses both an automated and human element to caption the files with 99.6% accuracy.

Cost:

  • Instructional videos used by Students in Courses: $1.90/minute.  Departments must cover 25% of the cost, and we have central funding to cover the other 75%.  Departments end up paying $0.48/minute to caption video.
  • Non-Instructional videos: $1.90/minute - Departments must cover 100% of the cost.

An Instructional video is defined as a video that is used for teaching purposes with students in a for-credit course.  All other videos would be classified as a non-instructional video.

Standard Processing Time: 4 Business Days (Expedited services are available at an additional cost)

Requesting: Contact the Learning Technology Center to request captions.

Cisco Webex

Meetings that are recorded "in the cloud" are automatically captioned at no additional fee with 70% to 80% accuracy.  These captions are available by default when you playback the recorded meeting.  Captions can be edited by the meeting host.

Cost: $0

Standard Processing Time: 2 - 3 times the length of the meeting.  (30 minute meeting - available in 60 - 90 minutes.  Rare cases it may take up to 24 hours.)

Requesting: Webex: Automatic Transcription / Captioning of Recorded Meetings

Kaltura

With Kaltura, users can request for mechanical captions at no fee with 70% to 80% accuracy.  Captions can be edited by the video file owner in Kaltura.

Cost: $0

Standard Processing Time: Completed in under 24 hours.

Requesting: Kaltura Mechanical Captioning

Live Content

We have partnered with the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) to develop the smoothest options for providing live captioning for both Webex Meetings and Webex Events.  For the best viewing experience, we do recommend that attendees that need captioning connect using a PC or Mac with the Webex Desktop App.

Course Sessions (Webex Meetings)

Students should request accommodations from the Center for Students with Disabilities office to have a captionist available to provide live captions for a course session as soon as possible.  CSD will then coordinate with both the instructor and student on the best method to provide captioning for the session.

Viewing Closed Captions in a Caption Enabled Webex Meeting

Cost: No cost for students requesting accommodations.

Requesting: Contact the Center for Students with Disabilities to request a captionist.

Campus Events (Webex Meetings / Webex Events)

Live captioning can be requested and coordinated with the Center for Students with Disabilities for larger Webex Meetings and Events.  Captions are added into the Webex using the multimedia option via a 3rd party vendor.

How to View Live Captions in a Webex Meeting or Webex Event

Cost: Per event costs will apply (~$150 - $200/per hour).

Requesting: Contact the Center for Students with Disabilities to request a captionist.  Please submit requests at least 10 business days in advance.  Requests submitted with less than 2 business days notice cannot be guaranteed and will result in additional fees.






  • No labels