Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor is installed in all UW-Whitewater Computer Labs. On personal devices, use the following like to download and install the latest version of the LockDown Browser/Monitor. You can also download it directly from: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=164414303
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is a secure internet browser application for taking quizzes in Canvas. It allows you to take a quiz, as designated in Canvas, in a controlled environment. If your instructor has set a quiz to require that RLDB Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser.
The RLDB Browser can only be used for taking Canvas Quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
Some courses may required you to use the "Respondus Monitor" feature of the browser. This requires you to have a webcam and go through some additional steps before starting the quiz.
Where can I use Respondus LockDown Browser?
If you are using your own computer, you will need to follow the instructions below to install the RLDB before you can take a quiz.
- Note: LockDown Browser is not supported on Chromebooks. Please consult your instructor if you wish to use the iPad version of RLDB.
Installing Respondus LockDown Browser
- Download and Install the latest version of LockDown Browser. You can also download it directly from: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=164414303
- Follow the prompts in the installer to complete the installation. Once complete, you should see a shortcut on your desktop, and and icon in your Programs menu / App folder.
Taking a Quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser
- Launch the LockDown Browser from your Computer. The icon is typically located on the desktop on UW-Whitewater campus workstations.
- Login to Canvas with your UW-W Net-ID
- Navigate to your Canvas Course - and locate the Quiz.
- Click on Take the Quiz.
- Once you have started a quiz, you cannot exit it until you have clicked the Submit Quiz button.
If you have any questions or issues using the Lockdown Browser, please contact Canvas 24/7/365 Support.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser, contact Canvas Support.
Respondus Monitor Troubleshooting - 24/7 Live Chat Support
If you are having issues accessing a quiz that requires Respondus Monitor, use the steps below to get in touch with a chat specialist to help.
- If you have problems regarding devices such as webcams, a screen should load stating "We're unable to detect a webcam with your computer." This should appear with other devices as well. For assistance in fixing this, start the help process by selecting "It's not working".
- From here, follow each prompt until you get to a "Solutions" page. At the bottom of the "Solutions" page will be a check box labeled "I have tried the suggested solutions, and I still need to chat with an agent". To speak with a live support agent, select this box and press next.
- Next press "Live Chat". This will open up a box to enter your name and university email address. To start the chat, press "Start the Chat".
- You are now in a live chat room with a support agent at Respondus.